OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSOCIATION
Section 1. THE BIOETHICS COLLECTIVE, A. C. is a legally incorporated and registered, multidisciplinary, secular, non-profit, non-governmental association, consisting of academic experts in their respective fields of knowledge. Its objectives are the following:
- Conduct, analyze, collect, systematize, disseminate, promote and encourage systematic reflections, studies, investigations, cases, presentations and any other input of knowledge for the development of bioethics as a broader discipline that medical ethics, defined by its interdisciplinary and secular nature.
- Promote, document, create, participate and encourage plural and participatory dialogue between academic developers of theoretical, practical and technical knowledge of various disciplines, in order to reflect on issues related to bioethics such as:
- Beginning-of-life ethics: assisted reproduction in all its different forms; artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization with embryo transfer, surrogate pregnancies, the human genome, contraception, abortion and assisted reproduction.
- End-of-life ethics: death with dignity, euthanasia, assisted suicide, palliative care for terminally ill patients, the right to refuse treatment and methods in the diagnosis of death (e.g., borderline states of consciousness).
- Quality of life: Life-Years, Quality-Adjusted Life Years, distributive justice, right to life, healthcare ethics, the right to health care, individual autonomy, the right to free choice, personal dignity, organ donation, stem cell research.
- Environmental ethics: environmental degradation, preservation of the environment, culturally-sensitive ethics, environmental stewardship for future generations, nature reserves, ecosystems and biodiversity.
- Biomedical Research ethics: experimentation on live subjects, clinical ethics, social and professional responsibility of academic research, scientists, ethics of any scientific and technological activity used to modify the biological structure of living things.
III. Develop, propose, promote, and disseminate codes of ethics for professional practice in matters related to the purposes of the association.
- Promote ethical standards and practices in biomedical and genetic research.
- Analyze, study and systematize regulatory and political texts on bioethics, genetics, medicine and biology, as well as recommendations, postulates and proposals of national and international issues related to bodies established in these statutes.
- Perform theoretical, practical, economic, and statistical studies to support, develop, promote, propose and disseminate proposals for legislation and regulations in the field of bioethics.
VII. Advise, counsel, suggest, comment and generally collaborate with public and/or private institutions for the design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of public policies in order to improve the design and processes of institutions in all subjects which are directly or indirectly related to the objectives and themes covered by these statutes.
VIII. Advise, counsel and/or participate, and integrate committees, councils, partnerships, forums, seminars and any other body or group event related to bioethics.
- Promote national, state and regional campaigns for the dissemination of bioethics.
- Institute different forms of awards, certifications and civil and institutional capacities to support the implementation of bioethics in professional practice incentives.
- Support organizations and institutions that perform similar activities and make alliances with domestic or foreign institutions of varying kinds.
XII. Promote and participate in mass media campaigns and public information services such as radio, television, print or electronic media, in order to publicize the progress, results and proposals of the activities of the Bioethics Collective.
XIII. Support, develop and promote the publication of works, both in digital and paper form, as well as the creation of databases on works on bioethics and issues related to bioethics.
XIV. Register trademarks, trade names, acquire or sell all kinds of rights of intellectual, literary or artistic property, and receive or grant licenses and authorizations for the use and exploitation of all kinds of copyright-protected material, inventions and trademarks, in order to achieve the objectives of the association.
- Acquire by any legal title, the ownership, possession or rights over all movable and immovable property necessary or useful for the development of the Bioethics Collective purposes.
XVI. Request and grant loans, deposits, guarantees or warranties of any kind, as well as issue or subscribe shares, debt securities or any other document, provided that they are related to these statutes.
XVII. The association may not conduct business activities first and foremost because it is a non-profit organization; and while it may not carry out activities reserved to the state, the Bioethics Collective may nevertheless support projects that are productive to its cause and increase their economic and legal heritage in order to achieve and maintain viability, independence and economic self-sufficiency. In no case may the Bioethics Collective distribute its remaining members, dividends or any other interest in the assets of the association.
XVIII. Overall, the implementation and celebration of all those acts, contracts and agreements civil, commercial or administrative that are related to these purposes, and which are necessary or useful for the development of its social purpose.